Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pesto Potato Frittata



What do you make when it's 6:30pm and you're just getting home from work tired, hungry, grouchy, and have not thought for a single second about dinner (did I mention you also spent the night before at the hospital anxiously awaiting the birth of your boyfriend's ADORABLE nephew, and now you suspect you are coming down with The Sickness)?  You make a frittata.

I had gotten this recipe for a Pesto Potato Frittata in my inbox a few weeks ago and it's been floating around in my head, waiting for the perfect moment to surface ever since. Earlier this week (under the above circumstances) was certainly my big moment. Frittatas are easy and quick to make, and perfect for my particular situation.

This recipe was adapted from Vegetarian Times. Their recipe calls for 2 tbs of mustard - which I was very excited about. I love mustard, like REALLY love it. It had never occurred to me to put it IN a frittata (it almost always winds up on ON it). I couldn't wait to try it out! Aaaand I completely forgot to put it in... I am leaving it out of this recipe for that reason, but it is making it in to my next one for sure and I encourage you to try it out in your's (and tell me how it turns out so I can live vicariously through you). 

Frittatas are great make ahead meals.  They are good straight out of the oven, and equally as delicious the next day at room temperature or even cold. 



Pesto Potato Frittata
Serves 8

Ingredients
1 Tbs. olive oil, divided
1 1/2 lb. red potatoes, cubed (3 cups)
1 small onion, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic, peeled
6 large eggs
3 large egg whites
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated Fontina cheese

Directions
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add the potatoes and cook about 15 minutes, or until potatoes and onion begin to brown, stirring often.
3. Meanwhile, place basil and garlic in food processor, and pulse until finely chopped and combined. Add eggs, egg whites and blend 1 minute, or until frothy. Stir egg mixture into potato mixture.
4. Add the cheese and stir throughout. Arrange the red pepper on top.
5. Cook about 10 minutes, until the bottom starts to set.
6. Place skillet in oven (make sure it's one that can go in the oven!) until the egg is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes (keep a close eye on on it, it'll dry out if overcooked).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...