Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sesame Tofu Stir Fry

I got a new cookbook over the weekend that I am psyched about. It's Cooking Light's Way to Cook Vegetarian. My favorite part about the book? The abundance of pictures. All of my favorite cookbooks have no pictures, and it's so annoying. (I'm looking at you Veganomicon
 
Meal planning for the week can be trying at times, and sometimes I just want to mindlessly flip through the pictures to decide what I am going to make, not read through recipes trying to decipher what the recipe is about.  I also like this new book because the recipes look delicious, but accessible. No hard-to-find ingredients, crazy expensive ingredients, or words I can't pronounce.
Tonight I bring you Sesame Tofu Stir Fry. It was deeeelicious, and super easy to make!  I had this on the table in about a half hour (perfect for a work night). 
Sesame Tofu Stir Fry 
Serves 4

Ingredients
1 tbs sesame seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1 package extra firm tofu, drained
1 tbs canola oil
2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
4 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch of asparagus
1/4 cup green onions, sliced (I didn't have any on hand, so I used a small sweet onion)
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tbs hoisin sauce 
1 tsp chili garlic sauce 
1 tsp corn starch

Directions
1. Combine sesame seeds and salt in a large bowl. Add the tofu cubes; toss gently to coat.
2. Combine oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute 5 until tofu is golden brown. Remove tofu from pan and set aside.
3. Return pan to heat (adding more oil if needed). Add mushrooms and stir-fry 3-4 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Add asparagus and stir-fry 4-5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Reduce heat to medium and stir in green onions. Add the tofu to vegetable mixture.
4. Combine broth and remaining ingredients. Add broth mixture to tofu and vegetables, and heat until thickened. Serve over rice.
5. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...