Sunday, September 12, 2010

Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese


Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food.  Comfort from what you ask? From Portland's rainy season trying to sneak in a little early.  I'm not sure where the summer went, and I have not come to terms with the fact that it is coming to a close.  It's been chilly over the last week and feels like it's time for a good butternut squash recipe, but to eat squash is to surrender to the coming winter. So in my denial, I bring to you Mac and Cheese.

I've made a lot of Mac and Cheese in my life (I mean, who hasn't really) but this is my new favorite recipe.  I should add a little disclaimer - I am not a sharp mac and cheese kind of girl.  I like my mac and cheese to be smooth, mild, and creamy. My cheeses of choice are smoked Gouda and Fontina.  The Fontina cuts the intense flavor of the smoked Gouda adding a deliciously mild and creamy texture.  If you prefer your mac and cheese to be on the sharp side, substitute sharp Cheddar for the Fontina (or go all out, and add all three!...).

Recipe is adapted from: rhondamary at All Recipes 

This is by all means not a dairy-free recipe (hello, cheese anyone?!), but I still make substitutions where I can. There is absolutely no substitute for cheese, but milk and butter are very easy - no one would ever know the difference, I promise!  If you prefer the real thing, you can use regular cows milk and regular ol' butter.

Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
Makes 6-8 servings

You can also easily make this ahead of time. Just follow steps 1 through 4, then cover and place in the fridge.  When ready to make, complete steps 5 and 6.

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni (or any short pasta would work)
2 1/2 tablespoons butter (I use Smart Balance Light, which is 100% non-dairy)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups Soy milk (you can use cows milk if you prefer; or rice, almond, hemp, or even coconut milk as well)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
4 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
2 or 3 ounces fontina cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs

Directions
 
1.    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 10 inch casserole dish.
2.    Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.  
3.    Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook until a roux forms. Stir in the milk, salt and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is smooth and thick and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in cheese (leave some on the side to sprinkle on top later).
4.    Combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce; transfer to prepared dish.
5.    Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top, then add the leftover cheese.
6.    Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until heated through.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...