Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dutch Baby Pancake


Holy-moly. I am having another Balsamic Roasted Tomato Caprese Sandwich moment. A DROP-WHATEVER-YOU-ARE-DOING-AND-MAKE-THIS-RIGHT-NOW moment.

The boyfriend is driving down to Eugene today to help a friend move up to Portland. I decided, being the best GF ever that I am, that I would make him breakfast before he left. 

I had some leftover blueberries that I picked earlier this summer in my freezer that I wanted to use up, so I turned to my friend Google for inspiration.  I found myself at the Choosy Beggars page, practically drooling over the picture of something called a "dutch baby".  I'd never in my life heard of a "dutch baby" before, and it was apparently very popular at Bickford's, of all places (a little reference for my fellow New Englander's out there).

A dutch baby is essentially a large pancake that is cooked in the oven, and takes on a bowl shape as it bakes.  I made a cream cheese filling to go under the blueberry compote, and it was pure perfection. 

The directions seem long and complicated, but this was actually really easy and quick to make.


Dutch Baby Pancake
Serves 4

Ingredients


Dutch Baby
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs (room temperature)
1.5 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
1 tbsp butter

Blueberry Compote
1 pint blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 tbsp water
1/2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Cream Cheese Filling
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened at room temperature)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs sour cream



Directions
1. Preheat your oven to 475ºF.
2. Stir together the flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.  Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
3. Whisk the mixture until ingredients combine (be careful not to over mix). Once you stop mixing there should be a little bit of froth on top of the batter. Set the batter aside to rest at room temperature for 10-20 minutes.
4. While the batter rests, put all of the ingredients for the blueberry compote in a saucepan, stir to combine. Cover and let simmer on medium-low.
5. Place your baking dish, empty, in the oven to heat up.  Traditionally a 10-inch cast iron skillet is used. I don't have one of those (sigh), so I used a pie dish and it worked just fine.
6. When the pan is hot, carefully take it out of the oven and add in the butter.  Because the pan is so hot, the butter will start to brown quickly.  As it melts, swirl it around in the pan to coat the sides. Move quickly, because you don’t want the pan to lose it’s heat.
7. Turn the oven down to 425ºF.
8. Put the batter into the hot, buttered pan.  Immediately put it into the oven and let it cook for 12-15 minutes.  (do not open the oven door to peek as it bakes, the cool air will cause the dough to deflate).
9. Give the compote a stir. Next add all of the ingredients for the cream cheese filling into a mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside.
10. When pancake is done, remove from oven and immediately pour in the cream cheese mixture (this will heat up the filling so that it can be spread easily.
11. Spread the cream cheese filling around the inside of the pancake, then top with the blueberry compote.
12. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...